Do you want to remodel your kitchen. This article is for YOU! This step-by–step guide will help you design and prepare your kitchen. We’ll be covering many topics such as flooring, countertops, cabinets, and more. The kitchen is the most complicated space in the house and should not be neglected.
It can be time-consuming and frustrating to remodel your kitchen. Not only do you need to choose the right cabinets and flooring, but there are many other important decisions, including kitchen layout, countertops, appliances, and counters. Here’s the complete list:
- Style – Choose a general style for your kitchen – modern, farmhouse, transitional or rustic.
- Layout – Removing walls, moving appliances and installing islands, open or closed layouts, designated dining spaces or without them, etc.
- Cabinets – Material and Finish, Paint Color, Modern or Traditional Style, Flat or Recessed, Handles Style and Finish, etc.
- Flooring – You can keep your existing floors or put new ones.
- Countertop – Choose a material from quartz and marble to wood, soapstone and corian.
- Backsplash – Choose a tile or countertop slab backsplash.
- Lighting – Lighting is an essential feature of the kitchen that makes it possible to cook and eat comfortably.
- Fixtures – Brand and Finish (chrome or gold, black, bronze etc.) for your plumbing fixtures.
Let’s get into each step!
When you start a kitchen remodel, the first thing to do is decide what type of kitchen you want and hire a kitchen remodeling contractor in Northbrook IL.
Kitchen Style That Suits Your Home
When you start a kitchen remodel, the first thing to do is decide on the style you want. Matching cabinets, countertops, appliances, and decor is a key element in ensuring that the style matches.
Let’s take a look at the most in-demand styles.
- Modern kitchen designs often use stainless steel, aluminum and tempered glass. Modern kitchens often use darker colors such as gray, blue, and dark brown.
- Traditionalkitchens emphasize function more than anything else. These kitchens are usually constructed of oak cabinets and white or light-colored marble countertops. They also have porcelain flooring.
- Farmhousekitchens are built with natural materials, simple lighting, plant and wood decor and open shelves.
- Transitionalkitchen is a combination of two styles. This design combines elements of traditional and modern styles. It uses oak floors and painted wooden cabinets.
- Rustickitchens can be used as the heart of a home by using warm natural materials like beige stone counters and unpainted wood cabinets. They also include cozy decor such as fireplaces, rugged floors, farm tables, and rustic flooring.
Kitchen Layout Types
Your kitchen should be functional, practical, and comfortable.
When choosing the best kitchen floorplan, there are many things to consider
- A L-shaped kitchen layout makes it more efficient and offers more space. If you have limited space, a peninsula can be used in an L-shaped kitchen. This is a great way to divide your kitchen into two areas without requiring structural changes, as it only requires two walls.
- U-shaped Kitchens have a large open space. This layout is ideal for large kitchens and allows ample space for all appliances and cabinets. A U-shaped layout doesn’t make the space too small. You should leave enough space between the sidewalls. It is even more important to ensure that there is enough space between the sidewalls if you plan to add an island to the middle. According to the building code, there must be 36 inches between cabinets and island.
- A galley-style straight cooking area provides maximum storage capacity. The island can also be used as a prep station and storage space. Galley layouts are common in high-rises as well as small condos.
Your kitchen’s shape will also depend on the amount of wall space available. Square layouts are best if you have enough space. If not, long linear cabinets with island shelves will provide ample workspace without feeling cramped.
A FEW WORDS ON OPEN-CONCEPT KITCHENS
Open concept is very popular and many customers want to implement it in their spaces. This layout is a great way to improve the flow and design of your house. When you open your kitchen, consider the following:
- Load bearing wall: Make sure to check if the wall you want to remove is load-bearing. You will need an architect’s approval and a special permit if you live in a condo at the top of a building. A building engineer must be consulted if you are removing a load-bearing wall in a single-family residence.
- Plumbing and electricity: Are pipes or electrical lines hidden behind the wall? These can be identified by obvious features such as the outlet on the wall, the stovetop, refrigerator, stovetop, sink, and fridge located near the wall. Remodelers are able to work with this in 99 percent of cases and move the plumbing and electrical as necessary.
- Storage: If you take down a wall, your pantry and wall-mounted cabinets will need to go. For extra storage, a large island is essential in an open-concept kitchen. You will also need to decide where to place appliances that are on the wall.
There has been a decline in open-concept kitchens’ demand in 2020-2021. The pandemic affected homeowners’ needs and many customers, especially those who work from home, want separate living and dining areas.
Cabinet Selection: Which Type is Right for You?
There are many options when it comes to kitchen cabinets: material and finish; paint color; modern or traditional style; flat or recessed; handle style and finish… What type of cabinet will you choose? Here are some tips to help you choose the right cabinet type for your kitchen remodel project.
- An acrylic paneled door in one color is the best choice if you want a modern look that doesn’t show dirt easily.
- A painted wood door is another option if you prefer a more traditional look with wood doors with details like carvings and molding.
- You can save time and money by choosing a flat-panel cabinet that has its doors flush against the cabinet frame. This cabinet is a great way to achieve a contemporary look without using acrylic panels.
- Recessed cabinets can be mounted into walls to keep them from protruding from the wall. This gives your space more depth that if they were all wall-mounted and standalone.
Cabinets material There’s two main types of cabinet materials: Melamine and plywood.
- Melamineis an organic-based, nitrogen rich pressed material. Although it is considered to be a less expensive option in the U.S. than other options, the technology has improved significantly since its introduction in furniture manufacturing. European cabinetry companies use melamine to make their luxurious cabinets. Melamine cabinets can be both high-quality and cost-effective.
- Plywood can be attached to many types of furniture and cabinets. It is a solid wood finish and considered a stronger material than melamine. You will find plywood cabinets in a variety of companies. Expect an increase in price by about 20%.
Style & Color: After deciding on the cabinets that we will use, it is time to choose a style of door. The doors and side panels cover the interior cabinet material so you won’t be able to see it when you look at the kitchen (unless you choose open shelves). Cabinetry doors are what you will see first. You have many options for styles, colors, and finishes.
- Shaker-style cabinets are one of the most timeless and popular kitchen designs. The Shaker-style doors are square frames with a flat panel in their middle. This is often painted white to contrast with darker cabinets. This design is versatile and can be used in any type of kitchen, modern or traditional.
- Modern-style kitchens will choose Flat-door cabinetry. You will achieve the clean, straight lines and the perfect finish you desire.
- We recommend raised-door cabinets if you want a traditional kitchen. To look elegant, these cabinet doors are placed above the base. They have deep reveal molding around their edges. This style is very popular because it matches almost any color and design theme, but doesn’t look too flashy.
- These styles are not the only ones. Many more are named after different manufacturers and brands, including Oxford and Cambridge. These are custom-made, and therefore more expensive.
The Flooring is the Key to Dramatic Transformation
If you are looking for dramatic kitchen transformations, it is worth seriously considering replacing your floor covering. There are many options available today. You have many options.
The most common kitchen flooring options include stone floors or laminate floors. This is a very detailed topic and beyond the scope of this article. Click on each link to find out more.
Popular Countertop Options
There are many types of countertop materials you should consider when choosing your countertops. However, the most popular is quartz. Quartz is an engineered granite material that is more durable and resistant to heat. Quartz countertops are available in a variety of styles, including slabs and solid colors.
Granite is the best choice for traditional kitchen designs that include a lot of wood finishes. Granite countertops are more traditional and blend well with traditional designs.
Granite and quartz countertops are not the only options. There are also more expensive options like quartzite or soapstone.
Island countertop – As more homeowners choose to open up their kitchens, islands are becoming a common feature of the kitchen. It’s a good idea to add an island 12 inches to allow for a breakfast table. A butcher block countertop can be added to the island’s side to give it a farmhouse feel.
Backsplash is Not Just for The Look – A tile backsplash can be a great way to update your kitchen. It is functional and visually appealing, and allows you to let your imagination shine. You can create your own pattern from some stores to match the look you desire.
It is a great combination of functionality and design. It is designed to protect the backsplash from water damage during cooking, as well as stains behind the cabinets or on the drywall. Two methods are used by remodelers to ensure homeowners have a timeless and beautiful backsplash.
Tile – This is the most common method. You can choose from many styles and ways to use tile as a backsplash. However, you will usually go for smaller sizes than large 12X24 tiles. Subway tile is very popular these days and can be used with either white or marble-style tiles. Mosaic tile is another great style. It comes in many colors and patterns, and can look stunning as long as it matches the design of your kitchen.
Countertop – This is the method that our company used in many of the kitchens we renovated in Chicago, IL. This combination of marble-style countertops or bright colors with grey grains is elegant and clean for use as a backsplash and countertop.
How to Choose the Right Kitchen Lighting
Mixing different styles in your kitchen will create the most beautiful design. Multi-light chandeliers can be used to lighten your kitchen island. Recessed lights, as well as a light dimmer, are great for entertaining guests and family. Not least, lighting under the cabinet is important for mood and function.
Using light fixtures in the kitchen can be a great addition to your design. They blend beautifully with your overall look. The most common light elements in kitchens are the ceiling lights, pendant lights above the island and under-cabinet lighting. These are some tips and ideas to help you plan lighting in your kitchen.
- Ceiling Lighting: The purpose of this light is to provide enough light to the space so that there is enough. Depending on the size of your kitchen and how it is laid out, you may need between 4 and 6 “can” lights. It is important to ensure that there is enough light in the space.
- Pendant lights: With enough light, the pendant light can be designed to enhance the lighting experience rather than being a necessity. Most people will place 2 to 3 pendant lights above an island. You should not make the island lights too low. This will prevent people from using the island for eating or working. A good alternative is to place the pendant lights above the island so that they are not too close to your sitting area.
- Subtle lights under wall cabinets: This is a great way to add style and function to your space. There are two types of under-cabinet light: a channel and a strip you can glue to your cabinets. It is easy to install and affordable. However, it greatly improves the kitchen’s appearance and feel. It is important to determine if you want under-cabinet lighting when designing your cabinets. You can get a trim piece to cover the channel. Modern high-end kitchens may have cabinet lights that automatically turn on and off when you close or open drawers.
Hardware for Your Kitchen
Hardware is the final part of the kitchen design. It’s a small component that completes the space. People prefer knobs to handles these days. Handles can be as small as 3 inches in width, up to 12 inches and 14 inches in length. It is important to check if your cabinets are smaller than 9 inches. Most kitchens match the finishes of the plumbing fixtures. Chrome handles are best for chrome faucets. We also created spaces that didn’t match and you can combine finishes with the right design.
When it comes to home remodeling, details are crucial. A kitchen can be elevated to the next level with fancy faucets and hardware. Warm-toned metals like brass are most common. There’s also an amazing selection of shapes and brushed surface options.
Pinch Pleating Curtains (The Easy Way)May 23, 2023
Buying “As-is”, Do You Still Need a Home InspectionMay 12, 2023
WHY SPRING IS A GREAT TIME FOR BRICK CHIMNEY REPAIRMay 12, 2023